525,000 moments so dear
Probably the most amazing gif I have ever seen.
This is beyond perfect..
Lightning Under the Milky Way
“Lightnings And Stars At Lake Korission Corfu, Milkyway Galaxy: Photo of Milky Way at Mount of St. Matthew with magnificent view at lake Korrision, undr the storms at the back is the island of Paxos and the left Lightnings is hitting Preveza and the right lightning strikes at mount Enos of Kefalonia.” — B. Metellinos
“i hate people who just expect handouts!!!!” - rich suburban kids who have had everything handed to them in their life
Sharpless 126 & LBN 438 Mosaic: This image started out as 2 panel mosaic of the LBN 438 area, and incorporating NGC 7331 and the “tiny” Stephan’s Quintet (at the upper right).
It also took me on a curiosity journey: Lightning strikes Earth’s surface about 45 times every second. But not every spot on Earth is struck by lightning at the same frequency. Some places, like Antarctica, almost never see lightning. And some places, like a certain area of Democratic Republic of Congo, get almost 160 strikes per square kilometer every year. This area of Arizona gets about 10 strikes per square kilometer every year.
Let’s use a conservative guess for the age of the Grand Canyon at about 6 million years (although some controversial estimates have put its age at up to 17 million years. Or even 70 million). The ridge area that the lightning is striking is about 1 square kilometer in area (I checked on Google Earth, below)
If we assume that the Grand Canyon region’s climate has been fairly consistent over that time (which is a big assumption, and most likely not true), then this same sight has happened somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million times.
Lightning does strike twice. And that’s a beautiful thought.
So do colorblind folks ever try to convince White Supremacists that race is just a social construct or do they only do it when POC have legitimate criticisms of race relations in various countries around the world?
World’s Most Beautiful Abandoned Places
Italian product manager and web designer Francesco Mugnai recently added a collection of images to his blog touting some of the most beautiful images of abandoned spots and modern ruins that he’d ever seen. The images Mugnai has captured come from empty castles, shuttered power plants, and dilapidated churches around the world. From a sunken yacht in Antarctica to a forever-closed amusement park in Japan, these images all make up a sort of anti-phoenix; rather than rising as new from the ashes, these husks remain preserved in decomposition, forcing viewers to confront the strange beauty of ruination.
Dereliction can be so pretty :)
(Photo: Andreas Max Baeckle)
Are the images featured in The World at Night’s annual “Earth and Sky” photography contest meant to celebrate the wonders of the night sky, or draw attention to the worries about the night sky? They’re meant to do both, says astrophotographer Babak Tafreshi.
“A sense of wonder is not our only starting point. It can also be our destination.”
Sharman Apt Russell | Anatomy of A Rose: Exploring the Secret Life of Flowers
Maybe it can be both?
Effects Of Thinking White People Are “All Like That”:
- Literally nothing other than white people having their feelings hurt on the internet
- I’m not joking there is no real world consequence of this
Effects Of Thinking People of Color Are “All Like That”:
- Saudi student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Bangladeshi man is beaten by people out of racism
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Universities throwing racist ‘Fiesta Party’ homogenizing culture with extreme racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
But yeah, white people’s feelings :*(
Bill Maher is taken apart by Glenn Greenwald for trying to absolve the US from any responsibility for the mass slaughter and destruction in Muslim countries, blaming it on Islamic fundamentalism, as if the Afghanistan and Iraq wars never happened, as if the US wasn’t pushing for more war in Iran, as if it isn’t intervening in Somalia and Yemen.
Wow, what a great week. Bill Maher is being humiliated left and right. Maybe there is some justice in the world…
Page 1 of 294